Community and Public Health has issued a health warning advising the public not to collect or consume shellfish harvested from all of Akaroa Harbour.
Canterbury Medical Officer of Health Dr Ramon Rink says routine tests on shellfish samples taken from all of Akaroa Harbour has shown levels of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins of up to 0.76 mg/kg.
“This is above the safe limit of 0.16 mg/kg set by the Ministry for Primary Industry (MPI). Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness,” Dr Pink says.
“Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, cats-eyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish should not be eaten. Dr Pink warns that cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.
“Symptoms of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning typically appear within half an hour and can last for 24 hours.”
Symptoms of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning may include:
Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.
Phone your usual General Practice team 24/7 if anyone becomes ill after eating shellfish from the affected area. Call 1111 if it’s an emergency.
You are also advised to contact Community and Public on (03) 364 1777 and keep any leftover shellfish in case it can be tested.”
Monitoring of toxin levels will continue and any changes will be communicated accordingly.
Health Alerts Archive
For a full list of the convenient ways that you can contact us, refer to the Contact Us page
Connect With Us