The Community and Public Health division of Canterbury District Health Board has issued a health warning after potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found in Lake Pegasus.
People and animals, particularly dogs, should avoid contact with Lake Pegasus until the health warning has been lifted.
Dr Ramon Pink, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says the algal bloom can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals.
"Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips. If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and please let your doctor know if you have had contact with the lake water," Dr Pink says.
No one should drink the water from the lake at any time, Dr Pink says. Boiling the water does not remove the toxin.
"This bloom will be monitored on a weekly basis and the public will be advised of any changes that are of public health significance."
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further information visit Environment Canterbury's website.
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777.
Media Releases Archive
For a full list of the convenient ways that you can contact us, refer to the Contact Us page
Connect With Us