The Community and Public Health division of Canterbury District Health Board has issued a health warning for a North Canterbury lagoon after potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found.
Dr Ramon Pink, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says people and animals, should avoid contact with the water at St Annes/ Mata Kopae Lagoon, a wildlife sanctuary, until the health warning has been lifted.
"The algal bloom can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals. Dogs are particularly susceptible to the health risks. Fortunately they are prohibited in this wildlife sanctuary."
The type of cyanobacteria that is currently present in high concentrations is Anabaena, which visually gives a green "soupy" appearance to the water.
"People should avoid contact with the water until further notice. Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips," Dr Pink says.
"If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and please let your doctor know if you have had contact with the lake water."
No one should drink the water from the lake at any time, even after it's been boiled as it does not remove the toxin.
"Animals that show signs of illness after coming into contact with the water should be taken to a vet immediately," Dr Pink says.
"Fish and shellfish can concentrate toxins and their consumption should be avoided. If fish are eaten, remove the gut and liver and wash in clean water."
Environment Canterbury will monitor the lagoon weekly during the bloom and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality that are of public health significance, Dr Pink says.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further information visit http://ecan.govt.nz/services/online-services/monitoring/swimming-water-quality/Pages/lake-warnings.aspxOr contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777.
Media Releases Archive
For a full list of the convenient ways that you can contact us, refer to the Contact Us page
Connect With Us