Ashburton Hospital to get multi-million dollar upgrade

Tuesday June 11, 2013

The Canterbury District Health Board has today welcomed the announcement of a multi-million dollar upgrade of Ashburton Hospital.
 
An $8.7 million upgrade and refurbishment of the hospital has been given the green light, with construction expected to start near the end of this year.
 
David Meates, CDHB chief executive says this is a significant step towards securing the future of hospital-based health services for the Ashburton community.
 
“I’m delighted to be here for this announcement today; as I know the community has been eager to find out what’s happening with the hospital following the damage caused by the earthquakes. We really appreciate their support and patience,” Mr Meates says.
 
“We have considered a range of options and are confident that this is the right decision for now and the future.”
 
The work to be undertaken includes the replacement of the operating theatres, seismic strengthening and repairs of wards and an extension to the Acute Admitting Unit.
 
Ashburton Hospital’s outpatients building, therapy building and a section of the operating theatres were closed and some buildings assessed as high risk in the wake of the Canterbury earthquakes. 
 
The redevelopment investment fund is made up of $7.2 million from Canterbury District Health Board and $1.5 million from the Advance Ashburton Charitable Trust.
 
“This work to upgrade and refurbish is a direct response to repairing the damage the hospital sustained in the quakes as well as part of a long term plan to ensure services meet the needs of the community now and into the future,” Mr Meates says.
 
“There has been wide consultation with the community and our staff over the last year and we’re really encouraged by the significant community support received.”
 
What will the work include?
  • The demolition of three unreinforced masonry buildings (outpatients building/bedstores, operating theatre and therapy services).
  • The construction of a new theatre and procedure room consistent with CDHB design principles, replacing the existing theatres facility.
  • A partial seismic upgrade and refurbishment of the existing ward blocks. It also includes upgrades to fire protection systems
When will the work begin and when is it expected to be completed?
  • Work will be carried out in a phased manner.
  • A design team/architects are expected to be appointed by the end of July this year and construction is due to start by late November with an estimated completion date of late 2014/ early 2015.
For further information, please see our Media Guide page.
Page last reviewed: 09 July 2013
Contact Us
Image of a Phone By Phone
Image of an Email sign By Email

For a full list of the convenient ways that you can contact us, refer to the Contact Us page