Tuesday 29 January 2019Media release2 minutes to read
The Community and Public Health division of Canterbury District Health Board has issued a health warning after potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found in Lake Pegasus.
People and animals, particularly dogs, should avoid contact with Lake Pegasus until the health warning has been lifted.
Dr Alistair Humphrey, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health says the algal bloom can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals.
“Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips. If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and please let your doctor know if you have had contact with the lake water,” Dr Humphrey says.
No one should drink the water from the lake at any time, Dr Humphrey says. Boiling the water does not remove the toxin.
Lake Pegasus is being monitoring on a weekly basis and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further information visit https://www.ecan.govt.nz/your-region/your-environment/water/swimming-water-quality/
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777.
For more information about Mahinga Kai
Page last updated: 19 February 2019
Is this page useful?