Friday 19 February 2021Media release2 minutes to read
Canterbury DHB’s Community and Public Health unit has issued a health warning after potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found in Lake Pegasus.
People should avoid the lake and animals, particularly dogs, should not be allowed near the water until the health warning has been lifted.
Canterbury DHB Medical Officer of Health, Dr Ramon Pink says the algal bloom can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals so people should avoid contact with the water until further notice.
“Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips.
“If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and let them know if you have had contact with the lake water,” Dr Pink says.
No one should drink the water from the lake at any time. Boiling the water does not remove the toxin.
Animals that show signs of illness after coming into contact with algal mats or scums should be taken to a vet immediately.
Lake Pegasus is being monitored on a weekly basis and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further details visit: https://www.lawa.org.nz/explore-data/canterbury-region/
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777:
For more information about Mahinga Kai:
Page last updated: 19 February 2021
Is this page useful?