Tuesday 23 March 2021Media release2 minutes to read
Canterbury District Health Board’s Community and Public Health unit has issued a health warning after evidence of potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found in Lake Pegasus. Evidence of cyanobacteria was also found on a number of beach shorelines as accumulations of scum.
People should avoid the area and animals, particularly dogs, should not be allowed near the water until the health warning has been lifted.
Dr Ramon Pink, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says the algal bloom can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals.
“People should avoid contact with the water until further notice. Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips.
“If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and please let your doctor know if you have had contact with the lake water,” Dr Pink says.
No one should drink the water from the lake at any time. Boiling the water does not remove the toxin.
Animals that show signs of illness after coming into contact with algal mats or scums should be taken to a vet immediately.
Lake Pegasus is being monitored on a weekly basis and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further details visit: https://www.lawa.org.nz/explore-data/canterbury-region/
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777:
For more information about Mahinga Kai:
Page last updated: 19 August 2021
Is this page useful?