Thursday 7 July 2022Media release3 minutes to read
Te Whatu Ora – Waitaha Canterbury’s Te Mana Ora unit has issued a health warning after potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found in Mata Kopae/St Anne’s Lagoon.
People should avoid the lake and animals, particularly dogs, should not be allowed near the water until the health warning has been lifted.
Dr Matthew Reid, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says the algal bloom can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals.
“People should avoid contact with the water until further notice.”
“Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips. If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and please let your doctor know if you have had contact with the lake water,” says Dr Reid.
No one should drink the water from the lake at any time. Boiling the water does not remove the toxin.
Animals that show signs of illness after coming into contact with algal mats or scums should be taken to a vet immediately.
Fish and shellfish can concentrate toxins and their consumption should be avoided. If fish are eaten, remove the gut and liver and wash in clean water.
Further information on gathering Mahinga Kai can be obtained below.
“When a bloom of potentially toxic cyanobacteria is present in a lake, there is a possibility of cyanobacteria and toxins being transported downstream.”
“People are advised to avoid contact with downstream water bodies,” says Dr Reid.
Environment Canterbury will monitor the lake fortnightly and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality that are of public health significance.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further details visit: https://www.lawa.org.nz/explore-data/canterbury-region/
Or contact Te Mana Ora on (03) 364 1777:
For more information about Mahinga Kai:
Page last updated: 18 July 2022
Is this page useful?