Friday 1 September 2023Media release2 minutes to read
Senior doctors and dentists employed by Te Whatu Ora, who are members of ASMS*, have advised they are planning to strike from 12 midday to 2pm on Tuesday 5 September 2023.
(*The Association of Salaried Medical Specialists is the union for senior medical officers – doctors and dentists).
Te Whatu Ora Waitaha Canterbury has contingency plans in place to ensure continuing safe care for all patients during the two-hour strike period.
- Emergency and hospital care will be available throughout the strike
- Anyone staying in hospital during this time will still receive the care and support they need
- We have an agreement with the unions for senior medical officers to be available to provide Life Preserving Services if needed
- Te Whatu Ora respects the right of its staff to take industrial action.
If you have an outpatient or surgery appointment
- If you have an outpatient appointment or surgery appointment on that day, please attend as planned, unless you hear from us
- We will be contacting anyone whose appointment needs to be rescheduled.
If the strike is called off
- If the strike is called off, we will contact patients whose outpatient appointment or surgery has been deferred
- Some appointments may be able to be reinstated to the original time, but this will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and in consultation with patients
- If you want to check what’s happening, please call the number on your appointment/surgery letter
- If the strike is called off and you’re unsure about what’s happening, please call the phone number on your appointment letter and someone will be able to advise you.
In an emergency
- Emergency care will be available throughout the strike period
- The Emergency Department will remain open
- If you have a medical emergency, do not delay seeking help
- Call 111 or go to your nearest emergency department immediately if you or someone else is in a serious or life-threatening condition.
Further industrial action
We have received notice of a further two-hour strike on Wednesday 13 September, from 10am – 12pm. If it goes ahead, we will follow our usual process and contact people directly if their outpatient appointment or surgery needs to be rescheduled.
For more information about the strike and Te Whatu Ora plans visit: https://www.tewhatuora.govt.nz/for-the-health-sector/senior-doctor-and-dentist-strike/
Back to Health News