Reduced delivery from Monday March 30 2020
Red Cross Meals on Wheels from following hospitals will be changing delivery days:
- Hillmorton Hospital (delivered in Christchurch and Kaiapoi)
- Rangiora Hospital
- Ellesmere Hospital
- Darfield Hospital
- Waikari Hospital
- Oxford Hospital
- Grey Hospital (delivered in Greymouth and Hokitika)
- Reefton Hospital
- Buller Health
There are no changes to deliveries for Ashburton, Kaikoura or Akaroa Health.
The new delivery days are:
- Monday: 1 hot and 1 chilled/frozen meal for following day (normal Tuesday meal)
- Wednesday: 1 hot and 1 chilled/frozen meal for following day (normal Thursday meal)
- Friday: Normal hot meal delivery
For weeks starting on Easter Monday and ANZAC day, deliveries will be Tuesday and Thursday.
This notice can also be downloaded and printed. Red Cross Meals on Wheels deliveries reducing from 30 March 2020 (120KB, PDF)
Meals on Wheels are available by referral from your General Practice team or other Health Professional. The service is designed to provide a freshly cooked hot dinner meal at midday for those that find it difficult to prepare or access a hot meal. Meals consist of a hot main dish served with seasonal vegetables and a dessert.
Where are Meals on Wheels available?
- Meals are prepared daily by Hillmorton Hospital Food Services, Lincoln Hospitality and Rangiora Hospital for distribution in Christchurch, Lincoln, Kaiapoi and Rangiora.
- There is an administration office at Hillmorton Hospital.
How often are meals delivered?
- Meals can be arranged for three, four or five days per week, Monday to Friday, excluding weekends and Public Holidays.
- Meals are delivered between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm by Red Cross Volunteers.
Do you cater for special diets?
Many special dietary requirements can be accommodated. Diabetic, allergies, gluten-free, soft, minced, pureed, lactose-free, vegetarian to name just a few.
How do I pay for meals on wheels?
- Meals are subsidised and cost $6.80 per meal.
- Clients are invoiced at the end of each month and can pay the Canterbury DHB by monthly direct credit or by an automatic payment each week/fortnight.
- Clients do not pay the volunteer Red Cross drivers.
- If you have any queries about Meals on Wheels, please phone us on (03) 335 4443 (For internal enquiries from CDHB staff call extension 34443).
- You can also email us at email@example.com