Alert Level 2: Meals on Wheels resuming weekday deliveries from Monday 18 May 2020
From Monday 18th May, all Meals on Wheels delivered by Red Cross Volunteer drivers in Canterbury and West Coast will resume to weekday deliveries.
Meals on Wheels are available by referral from your General Practice team or other Health Professional. The service is designed to provide a freshly cooked hot dinner meal at midday for those that find it difficult to prepare or access a hot meal. Meals consist of a hot main dish served with seasonal vegetables and a dessert.
Where are Meals on Wheels available?
- Meals are prepared daily by Hillmorton Hospital Food Services, Lincoln Hospitality and Rangiora Hospital for distribution in Christchurch, Lincoln, Kaiapoi and Rangiora.
- There is an administration office at Hillmorton Hospital.
How often are meals delivered?
- Meals can be arranged for three, four or five days per week, Monday to Friday, excluding weekends and Public Holidays.
- Meals are delivered between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm by Red Cross Volunteers.
Do you cater for special diets?
Many special dietary requirements can be accommodated. Diabetic, allergies, gluten-free, soft, minced, pureed, lactose-free, vegetarian to name just a few.
How do I pay for meals on wheels?
- Meals are subsidised and cost $6.80 per meal.
- Clients are invoiced at the end of each month and can pay the Canterbury DHB by monthly direct credit or by an automatic payment each week/fortnight.
- Clients do not pay the volunteer Red Cross drivers.
- If you have any queries about Meals on Wheels, please phone us on (03) 335 4443 (For internal enquiries from CDHB staff call extension 34443).
- You can also email us at email@example.com