How to get Meals on Wheels
If someone would like to use the Meals on Wheels service they need to talk to their GP/Practice Nurse who can arrange a referral for Meals on Wheels.
Meals on Wheels are available by referral from your General Practice team or another health professional. The service is designed to provide a freshly cooked hot dinner meal at midday for those that find it difficult to prepare or access a hot meal. Meals consist of a hot main dish served with seasonal vegetables and a dessert.
Where are Meals on Wheels available?
- Meals are prepared daily by Hillmorton Hospital Food Services, Lincoln Hospitality and Rangiora Hospital for distribution in Christchurch, Lincoln, Kaiapoi and Rangiora. Meals are also available in Ashburton and all other rural hospital areas in Canterbury.
- The Meals on Wheels administration office is based at Hillmorton Hospital.
How often are meals delivered?
- Meals can be arranged for three, four or five days per week, Monday to Friday, excluding weekends and Public Holidays.
- Meals are delivered between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm by Red Cross Volunteers.
Do you cater for special diets?
Many special dietary requirements can be accommodated. Diabetic, allergies, gluten-free, soft, minced, pureed, lactose-free, vegetarian to name just a few.
How do I pay for meals on wheels?
- Meals are subsidised and cost $7.20 per meal.
- Clients are invoiced at the end of each month and can pay the Canterbury DHB by monthly direct credit or by an automatic payment each week/fortnight.
- Clients do not pay the volunteer Red Cross drivers.